Friday, March 18, 2011

Deadlines Ahead

Unfortunate incident - I lost almost all my files from last semester related to the project. It's not much, but I had a good collection of relevant papers categorized very well. And I lost my tex file for my report, and the simulation files, and output jpeg's I had generated. I think I have 10 more days to complete my project and the report. Right now, the work left, in order of priority are: 

1. The final report, along with the simulations on Random Graphs, Power Law Graphs, Klienberg's grid-based model and greedy routing algorithm - these I had done earlier, but I don't have them now. A simulation on Random walks in power law graphs is also pending. 
2. LiveJournal Dataset - Statistical Properties of the Same - Analysis - This will also be included in the final report. 
3. I would like to show a simulation regarding the spread of a file in a P2P network as well - to show the importance of accurate modeling of these networks. But this is at a lower priority. 

I am a bit disappointed with the way this project went  - I had thought of doing a bit more research, but by the time I kicked off in full swing, and had all the tools in place, a semester got over! And this semester was short - anyway I'm not cribbing. I can safely say I have done a fair amount of work - considering I don't have any team members. 

But I have identified few good problems and lines of research i want to pursue after I'm done with my report : 
1. Characterization of Social (or Complex Networks) as networks embedded in hyperbolic metric spaces. Klienberg's model considered the nodes to be in a Euclidean metric space, but recent research shows hyperbolic metric spaces achieve greater efficiency for greedy routing - I wanted to do a simulation of the same, and understand this more. 
2. Although this characterization is very promising, and researchers have started making hyperbolic maps of the whole Internet at the AS-Level, given a huge network, like say a P2P network, there does not exist any algorithm that can map the nodes to a hyperbolic metric space, so as to facilitate greedy routing. 
Such an algorithm will have good consequences. 

One problem I am facing is that I have not taken any formal course in Real Analysis or Topology, so metric spaces itself is a new concept for me. I spent quite some time in my project, trying to understand this characterization, but have not been able to proceed much. 

I'm a bit tense also. Hope to complete everything in time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment